Glandular Support for Weight Management
The thyroid is a gland located in the front part of the neck, below the Adam’s apple. The thyroid produces hormones that regulate metabolism and are important in regulating energy, body temperature, basal metabolic rate, the use of other hormones, as well as helping to regulate growth and development. The thyroid gland and the other endocrine organs may play a role in how the body responds to changes in diet and exercise.
With increasing age, metabolism naturally slows down. This occurs primarily because of normal muscle mass atrophy and a natural decrease in levels of hormones such as T3 and testosterone. An increase in the production of a hormone called cortisol, in response to stress, may also impact weight-management efforts.
T3, or triiodothyronine, is an iodine-containing hormone produced by the thyroid gland. It is synthesized under the influence of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) by attaching iodine atoms to the amino acid tyrosine. A lack of proper nutrition can have a negative effect on the thyroid and on metabolic rate. Nutritional ingredients that support optimal thyroid function include Irish moss, kelp, black walnut, l-tyrosine, zinc and 7-Keto and manganese.
1. Barceloux DG. Zinc. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 1999;37:279-92.
2. Colker CM, Torina GC, Swain MA, Kalman DS. Double-Blind Study Evaluating the Effects of Exercise Plus 3-Acetyl-7-oxo- dehydroepiandrosterone on Body Composition and the Endocrine System in Overweight Adults. Abstract presented at 2nd ASEP Annual Meeting, October 14-16, 1999, and published in Journal of Exercise Physiology online, Volume 2 Number 4 October 1999.
3. Bjorntorp P. Do stress reactions cause abdominal obesity and comorbidities? Obes Rev. 2001 May;2(2):73-86.
4. Effect of a proprietary Magnolia and Phellodendron extract on stress levels in healthy women: a pilot, double-blind, placebo- controlled clinical trial. Kalman DS, Feldman S, Feldman R, Schwartz HI, Krieger DR, Garrison R. Nutr J. 2008 Apr 21;7:11.
5. Effect of a proprietary Magnolia and Phellodendron extract on weight management: a pilot, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Garrison R, Chambliss WG. Altern Ther Health Med. 2006 Jan-Feb; 12(1):50-4.
6. Constituents of Ocimum sanctum with anti-stress activity. Gupta P, Yadav DK, Siripurapu KB, Palit G, Maurya R. J Nat Prod. 2007 Sep;70 (9):1410-6.
7. L-Theanine reduces psychological and physiological stress responses. Kimura K, Ozeki M, Juneja LR, Ohira H. Biol Psychol. 2007 Jan;74(1):39-45.
8. Kroboth PD, Amico JA, Stone RA, Folan M, Frye RF, Kroboth FJ, Bigos KL, Fabian TJ, Linares AM, Pollock BG, Hakala C. Influence of DHEA administration on 24-hour cortisol concentrations. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2003 Feb;23(1):96-9.
9. Villareal DT, Holloszy JO. Effect of DHEA on abdominal fat and insulin action in elderly women and men. JAMA 2004;292:2243-8.